Saturday 23 July 2016

"Till It Happens To You" - Fiction




              "Till It Happens To You" (Once upon A Time)- CONT'D

 -FICTION-

-CHAPTER 21-



She found out the hard way that shoes that glitters weren’t gold. Jude is a jealous lover. He never lets her out of his sight, her friends have abandoned her and he has nightmares most nights that keep them awake till dawn. So she has insomnia and uses anti-depressant drugs.
She has been with him for 4 years and has had 3 abortions. The baby she is carrying is supposed to be her fourth abortion, but she hid the baby until abortion was no longer a choice.
He hates arguing and leaves her by herself for weeks sometimes months when she nags him. So she has learnt to keep her opinions to herself and agree with him on everything.
Although, he has never lifted a finger on her but he has tortured her in other ways; emotional abuse, verbal abuse and sexual abuse.
Yes, Jude has had sex with her often without her consent. The whole relationship is sexual because he sleeps with her whenever he likes, however, he likes it but he will tell her he loves her afterwards and she will lay there wondering what had just happened.
Despite the minor setbacks, she could not leave him. She has grown to love him and his care. Elizabeth has not lacked a thing since she met Jude. She had barely graduated with a pass result but she didn’t mind because her future was secure.
There was nothing she asked, he didn’t give but their lives changed when Jude’s father ran into debt and his debtor insisted on a merger of families and business.
She opposed the notion of Jude marrying someone else with her carrying his child but soon she realized she had no choice. Jude could not present her and the pregnancy to his father in the situation his family in debt were in.
His father wanted him to marry someone else to save his business so Jude’s hands is tied and Elizabeth is forced to go along with the whole arrangement but Jude assures her it is short-term and that she had his heart.

The only request she had made is for him not to bear any children with his wife. She wasn’t stupid, she knew that if they have children she will be forgotten in no time and the heir to his inheritance was something to consider. He agreed and drugged his wife since he cannot ask her to take contraceptives or wear protection and that is where Jamal is helpful.

Jamal’s wife is a retired nurse, Jamal supplies Jude with inductive drugs while Jude supplies him with money. Not too long ago Jamal requested for a loan, claiming he will return it in a month. Jude gave him without interest and it has been three months since the loan. So, Elizabeth will make sure he pays back the loan by letting his wife-the retired nurse- be a nanny in Jude’s matrimonial home.

It was her way of having an insider, someone who will be her eyes and ears. Jamal owed Jude money, so she knew they will be loyal until they can pay back.
Elizabeth will learn the hard way that loyalty cannot be bought.

   
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 22-


“I won’t let my wife be a nanny in Jude’s house” Jamal tells Elizabeth
“I am not asking you Jamal, I demand that you allow her. Don’t forget you owe Jude money.
“I will pay Jude back when I have it” Jamal replies
“When will that be? Will you ask for another month or three months?” Elizabeth said in sarcasm
“I am working on getting a job. When I do, I will pay my debts” Jamal tells Elizabeth
Elizabeth laughs at his stupidity
“Getting a job will never happen. I don’t want to waste time here” Elizabeth says and opens her bag to show a stack of 1000 notes. “This package is compliments of Jude. Your wife will get wages at the end of month as long as she works up to standard. What else do you want?” Elizabeth adds
“I will do it!” Jamal’s wife walks into their conversation
“Do what?” Jamal asks his wife
“I heard what you two were saying and I consent to it because we need the money.” Jamal’s wife replies
Jamal turns to Elizabeth. “See this woman. She is looking for opportunities to leave me but I will not let her” Jamal says
“You can start next week. The clause of the job is for you to give me information whenever I need it as I am sending you as my eyes and ears. Is that clear?” Elizabeth asks Jamal’s wife, ignoring Jamal
“I understand and will do what you ask” Jamal’s wife responds
“What you will understand is my fist in your face” Jamal threatens
“Touch her and I will have you killed” Elizabeth fires back at Jamal
“She is my wife, my property. I say where she goes and when she goes” Jamal insists
“When you pay back your debts, you can call her your belonging but she belongs in Jude’s house and nobody touches Jude’s staff in a hash way in front of me” Elizabeth threatens as she steps out of the house and heads home because their argument had woken her sleeping son who started crying.
******************************************************************Sandra sits at her doctor’s office waiting for the results of the test run on her to be read and explained. She lost two pregnancies in one year so she needs to know what is wrong with her. Her marriage is in need of an heir to the family business; her father had told her before she got married to Jude. So the sooner she seeks treatment and births a child the better.
The doctor walks in with bad news. Damage has been done to her womb due to fragments of Cytotec found inside her stomach. Cytotec is a drug used to cure ulcer but illegally used to induce labour and meant to soften the cervix and it can cause uterus or placenta abruption.
Sandra is shocked to find out she was induced. She asks questions that lead her to the conclusion that her husband has something to do with it because Cytotec is administered by inserting the drug into the vaginal and no one right now has access to her vaginal except Jude.
Jude did not understand who he was dealing with, she says to herself as she heads home.
She rushes home with emotions and does not notice the unusual as she enters her premises. As she walks into the house, she hears a monotonous voice of 15 people say “Surprise” at once.
She is shocked at the scene. Her friends are present and her husband supposed to be on a trip comes forward to give her a kiss on the cheek.
“Jude, my birthday doesn’t come until 4 months” She muttered
This is a surprise party to celebrate you, Sandra. You have been through so much and I did this to tell you I appreciate you” Jude said and kissed her on the lips
They are having their moment in front of family and friends when someone walks towards them from the crowd and breaks the connection between them.
The woman is an exquisite light in complexion lady who introduces herself to Sandra as Elizabeth.
   
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 23-


 Elizabeth could not resist the urge to meet Jude’s wife face-to-face. The jealousy she is feeling had taken over her sense of reasoning and Jude did nothing to stop her from coming to the surprise party.
Elizabeth walked in with other guests and acted neutral, like she didn’t know who Jude is, ignoring him and avoiding eye contact while he explains to everyone the plan for the evening before Sandra arrives. Jude tells them they were going to be quiet until Sandra walks in, and then they will shout “surprise” and the party will go on as usual.
Elizabeth is fine with the arrangement but when Sandra walks in and they shout “surprise”, Jude goes to meet her and they start to kiss in front of Elizabeth which wasn’t part of the plan. So she thought she is obligated to break the connection and remind Jude she was in the house.
Elizabeth introduces herself to Sandra with Jude trying to shove her off at every chance he gets. It starts to get awkward and Elizabeth decides she has tortured Jude enough as she excuses herself and disappears into the crowd.
Sandra’s friends surround her and keep her company the whole night. She later walks into her kitchen to get a refill of a glass of wine and sees a woman cooking in her kitchen, spilling content of the wine on her dress. Jude walks in behind her and introduces Sandra to her new maid. Sandra is short of words with happiness because having a maid means she now has time to think and do other things aside from being the lady of their big house.
The duplex was big. Elizabeth admits the house is too much for one woman to handle alone as she takes a tour around the house. She sees a grand door on the upper floor of the house and walks towards it knowing might be the master bedroom.
Elizabeth wanted to see how Jude’s matrimonial bed looks so she opens the door and enters, wondering if Jude will dare sleep with her on it.
Sandra needs to change clothes because Jude did not give her the opportunity of dressing for the occasion he planned. Besides, she had spilled wine on her dress so she heads for her bedroom to change clothes not knowing who or what was waiting for her there.

-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 24-

Jude looks out for Elizabeth but doesn’t see her. Jude knew Elizabeth so well and he knows Elizabeth will not leave without saying goodbye. So he panics and searches around the house for Elizabeth, as he looks he sees Sandra unzipping her dress walking towards their master bedroom.
“The bedroom” He says out loud and flies through the staircase, dashing towards their bedroom in time to startle Sandra and grab her attention as she opens their bedroom door to show Elizabeth in inside.
Jude spins Sandra around so fast.
“Jude, what’s with you today?” Sandra asks
“I saw you unzipping your dress and I couldn’t help but follow you” Jude lied
“I would change my dress, and then get back downstairs because we still have guests in the house”. Sandra responded
Jude looks into the room and sees that Elizabeth had hidden somewhere so he breathes out hard revealing relief.
“I hope they will be gone soon and we can have our own private party. Leave the dress Sandra; I want to do the unzipping later.” Jude remarks and directs Sandra back downstairs, Sandra did not oppose.
After several minutes, Jude returns to the bedroom to find Elizabeth sitting at the edge of the bedpost.
“What were you thinking Elizabeth?” Jude roared
“I am so sorry Jude, I didn’t mean to intrude” Elizabeth responded
“I want you to leave now!” Jude said 
Elizabeth stood up and walked towards him, kissing him, seducing him. 
“Jude, tell me you love me” Elizabeth said
“I want you to leave Elizabeth” Jude said instead
She kept kissing him until he responded to her kisses then she climbed on Jude’s matrimonial bed and asked him to come join her.
Jude looks at her with disgust and walks out of the room telling her “Elizabeth, make sure you leave before my wife and I return” without looking back, slamming the bedroom door behind him.
Elizabeth has smudged her eyeliner with tears as she heads out of their house through the back with the guide of their new maid.
She takes one final glance at the house she is supposed to live in and wonders if it will ever be hers. For the first time since dating Jude, reality sets in and Elizabeth realizes this relationship was far from being true love.

-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 25-


Six months after his wife starts work in Jude’s house. Jamal sits on a chair in his bedroom drunk. He stands up and staggers towards a CD player, pressing play as Fela’s “I no be gentleman at all oo, I be African man original” song fills the air and he dances.
After minutes of dancing, he pours himself more alcohol, looking at a picture frame of himself and his wife on the wall. His wife is the only thing in his life he loved and now she is taken from him because of his debts. In six months, the job as a maid in Jude’s house has taken all her attention off him although it brought in money but she is distant and never reachable. He misses her so much and drinks himself to stupor most nights to fill the loneliness. Jamal and his wife had no children, it was just the two of them but now just him by himself.
Jamal raises a glass at the picture making a toast to her.
“I am sorry for all the pain I put you through” Jamal mutters as he sips more alcohol.
Jamal doesn’t notice the stranger walk into his apartment until the light goes off. He staggers to get a touch light but stumbles on a figure in the room. He gulps saliva as he senses the person means trouble. He tries to run, but the built figure grabs him and places his muscular hands on Jamal’s throat. Jamal tries to scream, but the music is too loud for neighbours to be alarmed. The man tightens his grip on Jamal’s throat as his eyes bulges and then Jamal’s face turns pale.
******************************************************************
A few weeks before Jamal’s death, Sandra picks up her phone and dials a number asking the person on the other end to meet her at an eatery in a popular shopping mall in Ikeja.
An hour later, Sandra is sitting behind a table at one of many eateries in the mall when the man enters wearing a dark suit and sunglasses.
“Please have your seat” Sandra tells the man
The man unbuttons his jacket and takes a seat in front of her.
“I want you to spy on someone” Sandra tells him
Sandra and the man both stare at each other for a moment until the man breaks the silence.
“Who do you want me to spy?” The man asks
Sandra opens her bag, brings out a picture and hands it to him.
“Why should I spy on your husband, Sandra?” The man asks after looking at the picture
“He is having an affair. It hurts me and it will hurt the family business” Sandra responds
“How do you know he is having an affair?” The man asks
“Mrs Oyemade’s husband told me” Sandra responds
“Your maid’s drunken husband told you your husband is having an affair and you believe him?” The man asks
“Mrs Oyemade is a friend...Besides, I have had suspicions and he only confirmed them.” Sandra responds
“Your father will not like the sound of you spying on your husband Sandra” the man cautions her
“My father will not know because no one will tell him. This is confidential.”Sandra tells him
“He has not been on a business trip in months and last week he informs me he is going on a business trip. He leaves tomorrow, so I want him followed.”Sandra continues to tell the man
The man laughs.
“Sandra, this idea is not super story or Nollywood. It is real life! You are waking up sleeping dogs and when they bark are you sure you are ready for the consequences?” The man warns
“I am scorned! I have lost two pregnancies while Jude goes off on business trips. God has blessed me with another pregnancy and Jude announces he is going on a business trip. I won’t lose this child!” Sandra tells the man crying
The man stares at Sandra and sees the anger in her. The pain he only sees in a woman hurt by a man, the look of hatred and revenge. He has never seen Sandra hurt so he decides to help her.
“Okay, I will do it” He says
“Thank you” Sandra replies with relief
He stands up and leaves the eatery leaving a happy Sandra behind
   
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 26-


When Jude finds out his wife is pregnant, he is filled with joy and for the first time, the happiness is genuine. After the last stunt Elizabeth pulls, he decides that Elizabeth and he are done. She is now so obsessive and has made mistakes that almost cost him everything. She wasn’t worth the risk anymore. He will take all the responsibility for his son but Elizabeth will have to move on without him.
Jude said little to her in 6 months, so breaking up with her over the phone will be rude. Jude will not forget how Elizabeth helped him through his nightmares and during the rough times. She deserves to be told face-to-face. So after his business trip, he will branch at her place and give her the news.
After his business trip, Jude calls Elizabeth and tells her he is coming over to the house. Elizabeth on the other end is delighted. She has not seen Jude in 6 months.
Jude drives into her compound seeing Elizabeth clutching onto his son, waiting for him to greet them.
Jude is glad to see his son but he can’t say the same for Elizabeth. Jude parks the car, gets out and reaches for his son who has grown more than the last time Jude saw him.
Jude walks into the apartment trying to avoid eye contact with Elizabeth.
Fifteen minutes into his visit, Elizabeth takes Jude’s son inside his room for the boy’s afternoon nap.
Elizabeth comes out of the room and walks straight into the kitchen to whip something up for Jude to eat. Jude follows Elizabeth to the kitchen.
Elizabeth drags a chair from the dining table in the kitchen for Jude to sit but he hesitates.
“Here, sit down. Food is almost ready” Elizabeth tells Jude
Jude sits down as Elizabeth hands him a glass of water
“I didn’t come here to eat or drink Elizabeth” Jude said
Elizabeth’s smile disappears and Jude stands up in a gesture to leave. Then she has a smirk on her face, understanding what 
Jude meant.
She undresses.
   
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 27-


“This relationship is over Elizabeth” Jude tells her with a frown on his face
Elizabeth grabs the glass of water and throws it at Jude
“Over? It is not over until I say it is over! I have given you more than 5years of my life and I haven’t stopped loving you. I love you more than your wife will ever love you Jude” Elizabeth blotted out
“I am sorry Elizabeth but this can’t work anymore. I won’t keep acting like we have a future together when we don’t. The past 5years was wonderful but the future is blink with you. I am married now and this marriage means more to me than anything in the world. I am sorry Elizabeth” Jude tells her
“What about our son?” Elizabeth asks
“I will always be his father. Nothing has changed with him. I will continue to financially provide for you two.” Jude replies and starts to walk towards the door
Elizabeth grabs Jude’s arm
“Don’t leave. We can work this whole arrangement out however you want it. I won’t intrude again, I promise, Just don’t leave me” Elizabeth begs
Jude pulls away from her grip.
“You can’t leave me Jude. You belong to me, you are mine. I have no one; you made sure I had no one. Now, you choose another woman over me because of money?” Elizabeth screams
“Is that what I get for everything I have done?” She continues
“I knew you won’t take this well. I will give you time to sink the information in “Jude tells her on his way out of the house.
Elizabeth walks towards him.
“I love you. I love you so much. I haven’t been able to sleep in 6 months, what do you think will happen to me after you leave?” Elizabeth asks Jude
“If my wife finds out about us, she divorces me and takes most of my inheritance and leaves me broke with my dad disowning me. Trust me, you will be more worried of where to sleep and how to feed yourself and not being able to sleep will be the least of your problems. You have a roof over your head and have not lacked anything you need. If you still want this arrangement to continue, then you will have to grow up and see that we don’t have a future together.”Jude shouts at her
“I don’t care!” Elizabeth shouts back
“I never loved you!”Jude tells her
“Lies!” Elizabeth responds
“I have only loved one woman and she is not you. I wanted her to be you, I saw her in you everyday but you are not her and never will be. I hurt her and it hunted me for years but now I want to move on. I am getting rid of my past and moving on Elizabeth. You should do the same.” Jude tells her
“If you leave, I will kill myself” Elizabeth threatens 
“Those are your choices not mine. Just don’t do it in front of our son” Jude tells her with no remorse and walks away.
Elizabeth goes into shock as Jude drives out of the compound.
******************************************************************There are two things the man Sandra sent as a spy has learnt over time by working with the rich. They value only two things; family and money. They spend their whole lives building legacies around those two things, building business that will outlive them and building families that will run those businesses. So, an outsider can tamper with anything that belongs to the rich but never should the outsider position themselves as a threat to those two things; money and family.
The man is parked across the street from Elizabeth’s address, taking pictures of the whole drama in front of him. The man feels sorry for the woman Jude is with because she doesn’t know she has become a threat and threats are most often eliminated.
  
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 28-


No woman ever wants to play second fiddle but insecurities are what make women settle for less and their insecurities starts everyday with a mirror. The way they perceive themselves when they look into the mirror daily determines how their lives will turn out.
Most women don’t know who they are? They don’t know what they carry and they let present situations or past happenings define who they are.
In my opinion, there is no difference between a queen and a maid; it’s perspective that differentiates them both because a queen can be treated as a maid and a maid as a queen depending on their personalities.
So don’t be deceived, it is how a woman presents herself to the world that they would treat her and if she gives people the slightest idea that she doesn’t mind settling for less; well, that is how she will be treated.
Elizabeth is immature in handling her emotions. She can’t understand why she should be treated in such an unkind manner. She tries to place where she got it all wrong and still couldn’t see her mistakes. So, she blames it on Jude.
Jude is the one who has made her turn out like this, put her in 
this situation and left her by herself.
She won’t be forgotten.
In her anger, she destroys everything her hands can reach... Things Jude bought for her. When she first had them, she felt loved but now, she sees them as the price he paid to take everything else from her.
She picks up her phone and dials Mrs. Oyemade’s number.
Mrs Oyemade and Sandra have become close over the months. They spend time together and Sandra has learnt from the retired nurse who has tutored her first, on how to keep a marriage, to how to get pregnant and how to be healthy during pregnancy.
Mrs. Oyemade has been married to Jamal for twenty years and she knows her husband still has eyes for her any day, anytime. At forty eight years old, she still looks good. Sandra marvels at what a woman who is not so affluent can have the world in her feet.
Daily grooming, she tells Sandra and never let you go for no reason.
Mrs. Oyemade tells Sandra that men are lonely creatures and women should never make a man feel alone. Plus, sex is not the only way to fill a man’s loneliness. Although it is very vital in a marriage but other factors as communication, food and respect are equally important.
Communication is important so let your husbands’ know they can trust you with information and a woman should have her husband’s back no matter what. Even when the woman does things to disobey him, the woman should make him understand it is for his good at the end of the day; like the way she got this job despite the fact that Jamal doesn’t consent to it.
Spontaneity is very crucial. Don’t drag him into your mood swings and expect him to understand, instead let your husband perceive you as happy at all times. He will want to come home to you and forgive your wrongs. Sandra listens attentively and applies all she has learnt in her marriage and she has seen Jude’s attitude change towards her for good but she doesn’t know how to ask Mrs. Oyemade what to do to win a cheating husband back because she is embarrassed to tell her maid her husband is cheating on her despite all the lessons she has gotten.
Sandra doesn’t see Mrs. Oyemade as a maid but a friend. So, it is not unusual to find Sandra downstairs in the Kitchen with Mrs. Oyemade most times.

“I just like the way you and Jamal connect”. Sandra tells Mrs. Oyemade
“Well, it’s been just the two of us for 20 years. I think we had no choice but to connect”. Mrs Oyemade replies
“You were never insecure that your bore him no children?” Sandra asks
“Of course I am insecure but I have never showed it. I keep it to myself and cry my eyes out when he is not home but when I know he will be back, I put on a happy face.” Mrs Oyemade tells Sandra
“I wish I can be like that in 20 years. You two act like you just met. Even when you fight, it’s romantic” Sandra remarks
Mrs. Oyemade wants to respond when her phone rings, she sees the caller ID reads Elizabeth so she excuses herself from the kitchen. Mrs. Oyemade can’t wait to pay off Elizabeth all they owe because she won’t continue to betray Sandra.
“Hello” Mrs Oyemade answers the call
“He is a dead man. You hear me, I will kill him with my bare hands” Elizabeth threatens
Mrs. Oyemade is confused. Elizabeth is not in a right state of mind and her medical experience kicks in.
“Calm down Elizabeth. You are upset and you should rest” Mrs Oyemade tells Elizabeth

Elizabeth sobs

“I will kill him, I swear.” Elizabeth mutters as her child starts to cry in the background and she cuts the phone.
“Hello. Elizabeth” Mrs Oyemade still on the phone says until she realizes that the call is disconnected.
Sandra walks in and asks “Who is that?”
“Um, it is Jamal. I couldn’t hear what he is saying” Mrs. Oyemade lies

Maybe because he is drunk again, Sandra thinks in her mind but doesn’t say it. That is the flaw she sees in their marriage, Jamal’s constant drunkenness. 
I have a cheating husband and Mrs. Oyemade has a drunken husband; no relationship can be perfect, she concludes in her mind and consoles herself as she heads upstairs to rest.
Mrs Oyemade dials Elizabeth’s number but its switched off.

 
-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 29-


The next morning, two policemen dressed in uniforms are seen at Sandra’s premises. Sandra is alarmed; she prays nothing terrible has happened to her husband. She didn’t ask the man to hurt Jude, just follow him and confirm suspicions of infidelity are her instructions to the man but she knew the man has done some nasty things int the past and hopes her husband is not one of his casualties. She goes down the staircase as fast as she could while Mrs. Oyemade comes out of her room downstairs. They both go to the front door.
“Good morning officers, I hope there is no problem?” Sandra asks as she opens the door
“Ma, we are looking for Mrs. Oyemade. We were told she works here” One policeman says
Sandra is relieved to know it is Mrs. Oyemade they are here for and not her.
“Yes, I am Mrs. Oyemade” Mrs. Oyemade informs them
“Ma, you might want to take a sit for the news we bring” the policeman continues
“I am well composed; tell me what the problem is” Mrs. Oyemade responds
“I am sorry ma but your husband was found dead by a neighbour in his apartment. His body has been taken to General hospital morgue, we will need you to come and identify his body and...”The policeman stops because Mrs. Oyemade faints on the floor saying “What has Elizabeth done?” before she hits the floor.
Sandra makes enquiries from the policemen while she calls an ambulance that rushes Mrs. Oyemade to the hospital.

The policeman tells Sandra signs on the body show that Jamal is strangled to death but Mrs. Oyemade will have to authorise an autopsy to verify the cause of death so they know if it is a homicide or suicide.
Mrs. Oyemade awakes hours later lying on a hospital bed without opening her eyes. She notices she is attached to some machines; a drip and a heart monitor because she tries to move her hands but is restricted. She tries to panic but she feels a soft touch on her. She opens her eyes to see Sandra by her bedside telling her to calm down. Sandra, let’s go of her hand and goes to fetch a doctor.
Minutes later, a female doctor with a badge named “Chioma” walks into the room with Sandra.
“Mrs. Oyemade, you are awake?” Chioma asks
“Where am I? “Mrs Oyemade replies with another question
“General hospital” Chioma replies
“Why” Mrs. Oyemade asks
Chioma walks to her bed and pulls a clipboard off the edge of her bed.
“Looking at this chart...You fainted and your pressure increased more than normal, which is not good for your baby” Chioma says
Sandra and Mrs. Oyemade both call out “Baby?”
“Yes Mrs Oyemade, you are 2months pregnant” Chioma tells her
“I can’t be. I can’t have children doctor” Mrs. Oyemade tells Chioma
“Well, God works in mysterious ways that we doctors don’t understand. You will need bed rest because of your pressure and since this is your first child, you will need to be more careful”
Chioma tells Mrs. Oyemade as she drops the chart and leaves the room.
Sandra rushes to Mrs. Oyemade’s side as they both hold hands and Mrs. Oyemade starts to pray, thanking God for a miracle despite her loss.

-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 30-


“After 20 years, I finally get to carry my own child” Mrs. Oyemade tells Sandra
“You have officially become my partner in crime” Sandra jokes
“Thank you for everything” Mrs. Oyemade tells Sandra
“What are friends for?” Sandra replies “We are going to have so much fun together. Shop for our babies, prepare the baby’s rooms. Now that Jamal is gone, you are not just a friend but family.”Sandra tells Mrs Oyemade bringing back memories
Mrs. Oyemade looks away in a bid to cry
“Is he really dead? Is Jamal dead?”She asks
Sandra nods Yes, feeling sorry for bringing her late husband up.
“I can hire a private investigator that can help us find the culprit” Sandra offers
Mrs. Oyemade wants to tell Sandra to let it go when Chioma walks in.
“I have authorised your discharge Mrs. Oyemade you can leave anytime you want but I advise bed rest for the next two weeks to lower your blood pressure.”Chioma recommends
“Thank you, doctor.” Mrs. Oyemade and Sandra say in unison.
“Chioma, just call me Chioma” Chioma tells them and steps out of the hospital room to her office.
As she walks into her office, Jude strolls past it heading for the ward where Mrs. Oyemade is placed.
“I came as fast I could” he tells them as he enters the room
“Good, you can take us home because Mrs. Oyemade was just discharged.” Sandra replies
“Mrs. Oyemade, I am so sorry for your loss” Jude says 
“Well, she has good news too” Sandra cuts in, not allowing Mrs. Oyemade speak 
Jude looks confused
“Mrs Oyemade is pregnant!” Sandra announces and feels the urge to pee at the same time.
“Really, you are pregnant? Congratulations!” Jude tells Mrs. Oyemade
“Thank you” Mrs Oyemade replies
“Talking about pregnancy has made me want to pee. By the time
I come back, we should head home o” Sandra announces as she excuses herself to pee rushing out of the room. Her bladder since she got pregnant has a mind of its own so if she doesn’t hurry, she might embarrass herself. 
As Sandra steps out, Mrs. oyemade shouts.“Elizabeth killed him!”. “She killed my Jamal” 
“shhhhhhhhhh....Calm down Mrs. Oyemade” Jude tells her
“Elizabeth couldn’t have killed Jamal” Jude reassures her
“She did it...She called me to tell me she was going to kill him.”Mrs Oyemade tells Jude “and with all due respect, she is going to pay” Mrs Oyemade continues
“Calm down Mrs. Oyemade. Don’t start talking about revenge; do you want Sandra to hear you? Sandra is very fond of you and you should concentrate on making sure she never finds out what you know about Elizabeth and I, how you kept it a secret from her. Now Jamal is gone, you and your baby will need a place to stay and Sandra and I can provide a home for you permanently as long as you keep your mouth shut” Jude warns
Jude knew that the language expectant mothers understood were the promise of care for them and their unborn child. It worked on Elizabeth and he was sure it will work on Mrs. Oyemade.
Mrs. Oyemade fell silent. Jude was right
“Good. I hope we have an understanding?” Jude asks
Mrs. Oyemade nods in agreement
“Trust me, Elizabeth is selfish and childish but she is no murderer” Jude continues but stops talking because Sandra walks in.
“What are you too talking about?” Sandra asks not knowing why she asked.
“Mrs. Oyemade needs to be pampered until she fully recovers” Jude tells Sandra
“Off course, I already have that sorted out. We are both going to my father’s house until Mrs. Oyemade is in good shape” Sandra informs Jude
Jude doesn’t oppose, he needs time alone to think about everything that is happening and how best he will handle the situation because as usual Elizabeth lets her emotions get the best of her and she has done something stupid; threatening to kill him not knowing that a murder has already being committed. He hopes for her sake that Mrs. Oyemade is the only person she called to make those threats
As they leave the hospital, Sandra makes a mental note to thank the doctor that attended to them. What was the doctor’s name? She asks Mrs. Oyemade who doesn’t remember. Jude carries Mrs. Oyemade’s bag and helps her into the car while Sandra goes on to thank the doctor. She returns to the car, wears her seat belt and announces “The doctor’s name is Chioma. I can’t believe I forgot the name”. As she mentions the name Jude chokes.
“Are you okay dear?” Sandra asks
“I will be fine. Um, jet lag from the journey” Jude lied
That name still haunts him after so many years.
“The journey” Jude reminds Sandra so she makes another mental note to find out from the man she sent to follow Jude the outcome of the journey.

-FICTION-
-CHAPTER 31-


Sometimes, taking charge of emotions and not letting it control your actions can save lives but if not, lives can be destroyed by our inability to control our emotions. Most times, the selfish decisions we make without thinking of the consequences of our actions are often disastrous for not only us but everyone around us.
The next day after their journey from the hospital, Sandra and Mrs. Oyemade have packed their luggage and are ready to go. They sit in the living room waiting for Jude to drive them to Sandra’s father house.
Jude is all set; he comes downstairs but remembers he needs to head to the police station. Mrs. Oyemade had authorised an autopsy and Jude who is curious to find out what happened to Jamal takes it upon himself to follow up on the case.
He remembers he needs to take some documents along as requested by the officer in charge. So he drops his phones on the centre table in the living room and begs for 2 minutes.
“Jude, we have a massage appointment in 1 hour. I will hate to miss it” Sandra calls out as Jude heads back upstairs.
Jude’s phone starts to ring on the table in the living room where 
Sandra and Mrs. Oyemade are sitting so Sandra reaches for the phone.
There is no caller ID.
Elizabeth had bought a new sim card and registered it the previous day. She had to take that action because Jude was not picking her calls.
The idiot is not picking my calls because he knows it's me.She thinks.
She contemplates whether or not to make the phone call and decides to make the call, dialling the number and a woman picks after the third ring.
“Hello” Sandra speaks
Silence...Then
“Hello. Um, good afternoon, please can I speak with Jude?” Elizabeth asks
“This is Jude’s pregnant wife. He just went upstairs to grab something quick. Who am I speaking with please” Sandra responds with another question
“A friend of the family” Elizabeth says
“Okay, friend of the family who has no name. Do you want to drop a message?” Sandra asks
Elizabeth cuts the phone.
“How rude” Sandra remarks. 
Jude walks into the living room.
“Who was that on the phone” Jude asks
Sandra hands the phone to him and says “Why don’t you find out yourself” as she grabs her luggage and heads to the car.
Mrs. Oyemade watching the whole scene guesses it is Elizabeth and whispers “Elizabeth” to Jude. Jude gets angry and his countenance changes as switches his phone off.
That is the last straw. Elizabeth has started a war and Jude hopes she is well equipped to fight the battle 
******************************************************************“Pregnant!” Elizabeth screams after cutting the phone conversation. 
“His wife is pregnant. That explains everything!” Elizabeth talks to herself
“The idiot, his wife gets pregnant and he comes to get rid of me.
How convenient but he has no idea that I cannot be forgotten. I will not be forgotten” She continues speaking to herself and starts to sob.
Elizabeth spends the whole day crying and talking to her alone. She had dropped her son off in a crèche that morning. Mrs. Oyemade is right; Elizabeth really wasn’t in a right state of mind.
 
  -FICTION-
-CHAPTER 32-


Five men sit in a conference room deliberating on business issues. Amongst them are Chief-Sandra’s dad- and Jude’s father.
They need to come up with a decision fast. Merging both businesses was a good idea but the bank is still in debt. Jude’s father still owned majority of shares and he had made bad decisions that had further put the bank in more trouble.
“We have to make up our minds” Jude’s father informs them but he was specifically referring to Chief who has been making things difficult since the merger.
“Why don’t you trust me Chief” Jude’s father asks
“No offense but this is strictly business we might be in-laws but when we come to this boardroom, we are partners and I do not agree with what you are proposing. We have to maintain integrity here. That is why customers come to us. Isn’t it?” Chief informs Jude’s father and asks other board members who just look away.
“Yes, off course integrity is important.” Jude father says rolling his eyes. “But if we do not act fast on this, we will lose it all. 
Everything we spent our lives building. Our legacies will be forgotten and then what? Will we spend the rest of our lives living on integrity?” Jude father asks and most board members respond “No”.
“We are guaranteed more than one hundred percent profit back on all investments if we just do this little extra business on the side. What else can we ask for? If you do not feel comfortable, you can pull out now and sell your shares to someone who is more competent” Jude father finishes up.
Chief and Jude’s father are the same age group. They went to school together and after university, they both set up their businesses. They have been friends but with many frictions and bad side effects. Chief never really like Jude’s father but he endured their relationship because of its numerous benefits.
He realizes as he sits in that board meeting that he is getting too 
old to continue keeping up an act of friendship. 
The truth is, Jude’s father has taken so much from him using their relationship to his advantage.
Although the merger was Chief’s idea, he knew merging is the only way he could get his money back and grow his business but he knew the downside.
The downside is what he is experiencing at the boardroom. Jude’s father is corrupt and corrupt people get their hands dirty. Dirty is a game Chief tries to avoid in business and Chief is beginning to regret his idea of a merger.
“Let us give you time to think it through Chief” Jude’s father announces and calls the meeting to an end.
The conference room door opens and Jude’s father walks out with chief walking behind him. Chief has an angry face on as he leaves the building.
“How is Sandra doing?” Jude’s father calls out behind Chief
“Aaaaaarrrghh. I completely forgot she is coming over today.” Chief responds
“Is something wrong?” Jude’s father asks
“Don’t you know?” Chief asks Jude’s father who looks confused
“Sandra-maid’s husband was killed and the wife finds out she is pregnant at 48 years old. She gets a panic attack and the doctor recommends bed rest for her. So Sandra wants to spend 2 weeks with me while our maids pamper them both” Chief responds
Jude’s father laughs.
“Interesting” Jude’s father says
“I know your daughter has very expensive taste. You should agree on this deal chief so that you can afford to foot the bill she will bring in two weeks” Jude father continues
“We will talk about that later” chief says and walks towards his car.
Jude’s father picks up his phone and dials the man’s number. 
“Come to my office in the next hour. We have issues to resolve” Jude’s father tells the man and cuts the phone walking back into the bank’s building.

-FICTION-
-CHAPTER33-


The man’s name is Akin. At least, that is the name he calls himself these days. With no true identity, he used to be in the military until he was kicked out for forging documents; SSCE, Birth certificate all fake.

Ever since, he has been doing jobs based on referrals both good as a bodyguard, bad as a political thug and very bad as a killer.
One day, a very bad job went very very bad and Akin is caught. He is denied trial because there was no need for one and no one was willing to spend money on a lawyer for him. Akin is thrown into jail for life imprisonment in Adamawa State.
6months later, Akin sets the administrative block of the prison on fire. No one knows how the fire started and reports said few staff sustained injuries and all prisoners were in their cell. They lied.
The fire was a diversion for Akin to escape.
On his way out, one of the prison guards caught in the fire was choking and asking for help because he couldn’t move his legs.
Akin ran past him, not looking back and rushes for an exit. He runs out into the street, saw a palace guard in a palace close to the prison, beats him up and takes his clothes.
Akin walks to a bus park steal someone’s wallet and buy a ticket back to a city in the south-west region. 
The next morning, he alights from the bus and heads straight for a micro finance bank but security men at the bank refuse to let him in when he asks to see the owner.
Akin waits at the gates of the bank until late in the evening when Jude’s father had closed for the day.
“Jardon” Akin calls out
Jude’s father stops in his tracks and looks back. He hasn’t been called that name since his university days.
He cites Akin and asks him to get into the car. As the driver drives, Akin is in the back sit with his mentor and former cult member.
“It is good to see you, Laski. Although I heard you were in jail” Jude’s father says
“They let me out early for good behaviour.” Akin tells Jude’s father
“Hmmm interesting, anyway, how may I help you?” Jude’s father asks
“I need a job” Akin responds
“As always, eh.” Jude’s father asks
Akin nods
“Okay, you can work for me. I need someone whom I can trust to watch my back” Jude’s father says
“I am pretty expensive.” Akin tells Jude’s father
“Yes, I know but everyone has a price” Jude’s father responds
That was the beginning of a new relationship.
The next day as Jude's father walks into the bank, he is seen with Akin at his right-hand side walking alongside him with a black piece of well-cut piece suit and nice shoes, leaving the security men confused.

  -FICTION-
-CHAPTER 34-


A year later before Jamal’s death, Akin is sitting in Chief’s office.
Since the merger, Akin has been working for both Jude’s father and Chief. He is mostly a body-guard for Chief who thinks some of his competitors are trying to kill him.
Chief’s secretary announces he has a visitor.
“Who is it?”Chief asks and the secretary responds “Jamal Oyemade”
“Okay, let him come in.” Chief tells his secretary.
As Jamal walks into the office, Akin steps out.
“Jamal, how are you and your wife?” Chief asks
“We are fine. Thank you” is Jamal response
“So, how may I help you?” Chief asks
“I have information for you sir but it is going to cost you.” Jamal says as he sits opposite chief
Chief laughs.
“What information?” Chief asks
“It is about Jude. I tried telling your daughter but she seems hard-headed” Jamal tells him
“Jamal, the only reason I accommodate you is because I know your wife takes good care of my daughter. I will not allow you come in here and insult Sandra” Chief informs Jamal
“What I have to say will save your daughter’s life.”Jamal says “Jude has a secret he is hiding” Jamal continues
“We all have secrets. I have known that boy since he was little....So tell me what you want in exchange for this information?” Chief asks
“Money” Jamal replies 
“I need money to settle debts that took everything I own” Jamal continues
“I am not interested.” Chief tells him
“Your daughter has had two miscarriages, hasn’t she? Well, what if I told you I know who is responsible for those miscarriages” Jamal tells Chief
“I am listening” Chief responds as he leans forward
“No more...I won’t say another word until you give me money” Jamal tells Chief
Chief laughs.
“How much is your asking price?” Chief asks
“500 hundred thousand naira” Jamal responds
“Only?” Chief asks
Yes” Jamal says
“Okay, let me think about the offer and get back to you.” Chief tells Jamal who stands up, brings out a piece of paper and writes his number and address handing it over to Chief
“That’s my contact. Do not take too long in contacting me” Jamal says.
“I won’t.” Chief tells Jamal
That was the last time anyone ever saw or heard from Jamal. As Jamal leaves Chief’s office, Akin steps in.

     -FICTION-
-CHAPTER 35-


Jude’s father is sitting in front of Akin absorbing the information Akin is telling him
“Jamal’s visit can only mean one thing. He is snitching on your son” Akin says
“Hmm, after all, the things Jude did for that man” Jude’s father responds
“Don’t hate the player boss, hate the game” Akin continues
Jude’s father leans forward and looks at Akin with a stern.
“We know each other way back. We have done some pretty nasty things in the fraternity. I know you have been in prison for murder and I will never ask you to kill anyone. But, I have a situation here. A leaking sink that needs to shut down permanently. I don’t know how you fix the sink, I don’t ever want to know but I will appreciate if I can just focus on my dirty dishes and never on the leaking sink” Jude’s father tells Akin who is used to talking in codes
“I understand. I am the best plumber for the job” Akin says
“Good...” Jude’s father says and changes the subject.
This conversation happened a while back that led to Jamal’s death. Now, Akin is sitting in Jude’s father office after Jude had called him over to meet him in one hour and they are having almost the same kind of conversation.
“So she has a son for Jude” Jude’s father asks
“I guess, from the looks of it.” Akin responds
Silence...Then
“Akin, I have a deal I want Chief to approve of. He is strong headed about it and I understand, Chief doesn’t know how to get his hands dirty but I don’t mind teaching him. This baby mama is not good news for Chief, although I am elated to find out I have a grandson but if this woman continues to prey into Sandra’s life I don’t think I will even get the chance to school Chief when a divorce between Sandra and Jude will be sparked up by this woman and I can’t afford to lose this deal. She is a threat, Akin.” Jude’s father says
“I can’t have threats walking about the streets with breath in their nostrils” Jude’s father continues hoping he doesn’t have to explain himself
“You need another leaking sink fixed right?” Akin asks
“Yes please, as soon as possible and don’t lay hands on my grandson. He is an asset” Jude’s father responds
“I understand.” Akin tells Jude’s father
As Akin walks out of the building, he thinks through the conversation he has had with Jude’s father and concludes that for once threats should be given the opportunity to live. He has never hurt a woman before, his mother taught him to be respectful to women. So until he has justified reasons to hurt Elizabeth, he was going to hold his plumbing skills.
His phone rings again and the caller ID reads Sandra.
“This rich people sef get wahala” Akin says as he picks the call and tells Sandra he will meet her in an eatery close to her father’s house.







 -TO BE CONTINUED-

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;