Monday 7 September 2015

-RE: Tosin Akingboye: Thou Shall Not Be A Hypocrite-


I read the piece by Tosin Akingboye: “thou shall not be a hypocrite” on bellanaija.com and I just couldn’t help but respond to it...


As much as I understand and respect the message Tosin was passing about -not being judgemental- I totally do not agree with it. *sighs*

First and foremost, what would our world be if judgmental statements are not made ehn?

B-o-r-I-n-g...

That’s what my answer would be because people should be able to make their opinion about someone else even if they are guilty of the same thing.

That’s my opinion and It counts!

Let us be completely honest with ourselves, we all judge each other, whether we say it out loud or not. Right now, I am judging a fellow blogger like myself and you are probably judging me too.

Especially when i was reading the part of the feud Tosin had with her friend, it was already giving me all kinds of opinions about Tosin and that might make me judgmental but so are you.

One way or the other we form our own opinions based on our value system about the way other people look, the way they spend money, what they spend money on,  the way they eat, the way they talk, their choice of a partner and the ability of their skills in parenting.

We all do it one way or the other and I think it’s healthy...I really do think it is- Not just because I want to say something different but because the only thing I find wrong with judgmental statements is when you crown it all up with a condemning comment.

Well, just like the remove the log in your eye phrase...I like to remove the mucus in other people’s eye especially when I know I have the same mucus in my own eye. It gives me the right expertise to know just what the mucus feels like and what removal agents to use...lol...

Let us be realistic with each other, we live in the age of the opinionated personalities, where personal thoughts are made public and headlines. It sells! We love to read it! Don’t be too defensive... It is a circle of judgment to infinity.

Remember, our judgments are just judgments...No harm in it only when we start to condemn.

“Condemn not, or you will be condemned. For the same way you condemn others, you will be condemned and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

That is a different side to this whole drama...This is where I agree with Tosin...”Thou can judge but Thou must not condemn”.

What’s the difference? You might ask...Well, let me break it down for you using Tosin’s illustrations of her friend...

Tosin’s friend tells her someone else is sleeping with a man for money and forming a good Christian in church... That is been judgmental and I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. Remember it is only her own opinion and she is entitled to it despite the fact that she is also sleeping with someone else but for love. Same sin, but different motives based on their individual value system...I tag this is a positive thing....

I know, I am a bad teacher! Judge me! It’s your opinion...You are entitled to it.

Another scenario will be Tosin’s friend telling Tosin that someone else is sleeping with a man for money and she is forming a good Christian in church which is a sin that will make her end up in hell...Now, that is condemnation and it is absolutely not healthy and I do not encourage it.

Besides, it makes the whole situation too serious and scary and takes the fun out of the conversation.

If Tosin had tagged her write up “Thou shall not condemn” then, just then would I have completely agreed with her because we all have opinions and we sometimes say them out loud if given the opportunity but we need good judgments and less condemnation. Our conversations will be more productive if they are more open-handed and open-ended than confrontational...Just learnt these phrase..

I should be able to judge you and you should be able to judge me...Call it critic...Tag it whatever you like but no matter how much we try to slam the “thou shall not be a hypocrite card” we must realize that we are all hypocrites one way or the other because no one is perfect but that doesn't mean we should not speak out when we see things that are not in line with our value system...It is our opinion that should count.

What we must never do is condemn each other to poverty, solitary confinement or even hell...

I have said my piece...Please don’t judge me! lol

Share the word! Shine your light!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;